Milparinka Heritage Precinct

Winner: 2009 NSW Tidy Towns Sustainable Communities Award

heritage and culture ( pop. under 300)



The Milparinka Courthouse Built in 1896 The courthouse was designed by James Barnet, the same architect who designed the Sydney Post Office and Bathurst Gaol.  Comprising four rooms the main section has been devoted to Local History Interpretation. Simple interpretive panels cover:

  • Local aboriginal history

  • Charles Sturt’s expedition

  • Burke and Wills Expedition

  • Settlement of the far west

  • The discovery of gold

  •  Transportation

  • Information about the school, hotels, police station, post office

Copies of additional interpretive material is available from a desk in the courtroom. Seating is provided for up to 60 people, making it an ideal venue to provide group information for bus and other touring groups.

The rear room of the courthouse has seen life as a court office, a post office and a rural lands board office.  Today it is used as the Family History Room.  Simple displays depict the early life and times of pioneers. Entry to these facilities is by donation, and a box for collection purposes is located at the rear of the building.  A ramp provides wheel chair access.

The Barracks Visitor Information Centre Located adjacent to the Courthouse the Barracks or former police station was built in 1883. Acquired in 2003, the building was restored and is now a tourist information and souvenir shop. a small gallery room, office, store room and kitchen. 

This is where visitors will gather for a chat, to buy a souvenir, or to ask for directions to other attractions or accommodation places.   The Centre is manned by Visiting Volunteers. .

Restore police cells, Milparinka

The Police Cells Gallery The former cells are located immediately behind the Barracks, and comprise two rooms and a security fenced “exercise yard”.  The building has its original 1883 solid doors and sliding bolts. The building is used as a Mining Interpretive Centre. 

The central feature of the displays is an original 1884 map of the area, and some working models of equipment used in the early days.

Pioneer Memorial Wall,Milparinka




The Harry Blore Memorial Park Located across the road from the Precinct is a park area  featuring native trees and shrubs, as well as a shelter, panels with local environmental interpretive material and a picnic table.  A swing has been built for visiting children.

Milparinka Pioneer Memorial Wall and Silhouette In 2005 local residents constructed a stone memorial wall alongside the park, and invited the descendants of local families to provide plaques commemorating their ancestors.  Complemented by a steel silhouette of a pioneer family and a wheel barrow laden with belongings, the site is positioned to be seen first as one approaches the town.  It is stark and symbolic of the region’s social history.


Pastoral Industry Interpretive Centre (The Shed) On the north side of the Heritage Precinct the Association has establish a shed and display area that helps to interpret the pastoral industry of the region, and includes information about :

  • The wool industry, and especially shearing

  • Providing water, with a complete boring plant and pump jack on display,

  • building fences, animal husbandry grazing pressure management,

  • weed, pest and kangaroo management

The Milparinka Heritage Trail There are a number of heritage sites in Milparinka that require historic interpretation.Markers have been placed adjacent to the sites and an information sheet published.  This is made available to visitors from the Courthouse or Barracks.

Milparinka Cemetery Located just west of the township, the Milparinka cemetery is the final resting place of some three hundred or so people, although just a handful have headstones. 

The Evelyn Creek and Milparinka Waterhole The Evelyn Creek and Milparinka Waterhole lie to the east of the Heritage Precinct. Native animals living along the creek include kangaroos and birds, as well as, as one Volunteer discover, echidnas.