Corner Country Towns & Localities
Corner Country towns have a shared heritage, based firstly on the exploration of the region by Charles Sturt, in 1845, then by on the discovery of gold in the late 1870s. From the bustling heyday of the Albert Goldfields just two of the four original townships remain.
Tibooburra, once known as The Granites, is the undisputed "Capital of the Corner Country", the most remote township in New South Wales, and the ultimate destination of those travelling to the Corner Country and beyond. Its modern service station and caravan park, store, and two traditional hotels each service both the local community and travellers alike.
Tibooburra is also the home of the headquarters for Sturt National Park, as well as a Keeping Place of local Indigenous artifacts.
Milparinka, 40 kilometres to the south of Tibooburra, is something of an enigma, a town that thrived during the 1890s but gradually declined as the prospect of growing wealthy from gold discovery also declined. Set on the banks of Sturt's Evelyn Creek its heritage value is outstanding. The Albert (Milparinka) Hotel and the beautifully restored sandstone Courthouse and police station complex complement each other. A volunteer-run Visitor Information Centre and local history interpretive museum operates from March through to October.
Food, Fuel and Emergency Services
Outback NSW is very well serviced by food and fuel outlets as well as emergency services but the Corner Country is more remote so good planning is the key to safe outback travel.
The following downloadable file highlights what is available in the Corner Country; download, and even print a copy, as a ready reckoner.