Family Hotel, Tibooburra
Few pubs in Australia are more iconic than the Family Hotel in Tibooburra and few places are more welcoming than the Corner Country town of Tibooburra.
The hotel, run by Melissa and William Thomson who have owned it since 2013, was built in 1882 by Francis Bladon. Originally it was known as the Tattersall’s Hotel but its name changed to Downie's Family Hotel in 1887. Despite having eighteen owners in its 128 year history, it has always retained ‘Family’ in its title.
Family Hotel Accommodation
- There is accommodation to suit all budgets, catering for rallies and motorbike riders. There are six comfortable air-conditioned pub rooms with televisions and kitchenettes.
- Price Range. Per night. Subject to change and availability. Six pub rooms are available (single, twin, double) all air-conditioned with a television and common kitchenette.
- Laundry facilities include washing machines and dryer.
- Facilities: Air Conditioning, Blankets, Television, Kitchenette, Non Smoking Room, Shared bathroom.
- There are 12 cabin motel rooms with en suite, television and air-conditioning. Wheelchair friendly room for those who need one. The hotel has laundry facilities and public shower.
- Price Range. Single, double, twin, family and wheelchair friendly rooms available. Subject to change and availability.
- Air-conditioned cabin style motel rooms with en suite, and tea and coffee making facilities. 12 rooms available in many configurations. Off street parking.
- A wheelchair friendly room with large bathroom and living room is available.
- Facilities: Air Conditioning, Balcony, Blankets, Clock Radio, Clothes Dryer, En suite, Heating, Iron/Ironing board, Refrigerator, Television.
Family Hotel Location:
Getting to Tibooburra:
- The Family Hotel is located on the main street of Tibooburra - on the left hand side if travelling from Broken Hill.
Driving to Tibooburra
As a general overview:
Warrego Hwy <> Adventure Way <> Noccundra-Warry Warry Road (Unsealed) <> Silver City Highway: Distance = 1,366km approx
Castlereagh Highway > Golden Highway <> Mitchell Highway <> Barrier Highway <> White Cliffs Road <> Kayrunnera-White Cliffs Rd (Unsealed) <> Silver City Highway: Distance = 1,292km approx
Calder Highway <> Silver City Highway: Distance = 1,169km aprox
Barrier Highway <> Silver City Highway: Distance = 850km approx
See & Do
Tibooburra See and Do:
Guests and visitors can be as easy going, laidback, relaxed or busy as the want.
- Outdoor Pastoral Museum
- Courthouse Museum
- Tibooburra Aboriginal Keeping Place
- The Granites walking track
- Middle Road drive
- Wells walk
- Gorge Loop Road drive
- Sturt National Park
- The Jump Ups Mount
- Wood Summit walking track
More About Our Place
Family Hotel (cont)
The Cobb & Co network once had the hotel as a base and some of the original horse stables remain standing today.
Constructed of locally quarried sandstone with a veranda along the front, the hotel has become famous as the outback pub with murals on the walls. During the 1960s Australian artists Clifton Pugh, Russell Drysdale and others spent several weeks painting in the outback. Using the Family Hotel as a base, and the outback as their inspiration, they added their own style of art to walls within the hotel.
Over the years, other artists have contributed their works, making the walls a 'living' art gallery.
The Family Hotel Services
The Family Hotel lunchtime meals from 12pm until 2pm. A range of burgers, pies, chips and more are on the menu.
Dinner is served from 6 pm until 9pm, with more than twelve dishes on the menu.
Tours groups are our speciality with no group too small or to large. Fly-ins are welcome at the hotel and an airport pick-up service is available for guests. Refueling can be arranged.
Out of hours viewing of the murals is possible, but visitors are asked to make a gold coin donation to Angel Flight.
Towns & Touring
Towns & Touring:
Map & Contact Us
Tibooburra Weather Outlook