Fossickers Cottages, Outback NSW
Fossickers Cottages, the perfect place to stay, relax and experience Lightning Ridge first hand. Meet locals who are passionate about their town and black opal - the stunning gemstone that is mined from the depths of what was once a great inland sea.
Andrew and Jo met in Lightning Ridge after both had moved out to 'The Ridge' from Sydney around 1996.
Fossickers Cottages Accommodation
We have two inviting cottages nestled away in quiet side streets of Lightning Ridge but so centrally located you can leave the car parked and discover the town on foot. Both cottages are within fully fenced, private, pet friendly yards – so you are welcome to bring the whole family, even the fury members!
We’re passionate about offering our guests the most relaxed stay with each cottage equipped with comfortable queen-sized beds in each bedroom, quality linen, reverse cycle air conditioning, a full kitchen and private bathroom and laundry. Both cottages have their own exclusive garden and outdoor area with gas BBQ
Opal Cottage – 1 Bedroom:
- Our "Opal Cottage" is a peaceful one bedroom cottage overlooking an old town opal field, with a superb view to the west you could be in for some of the most beautiful sunsets you have ever seen.
- Opal Cottage is set off by a wonderfully eclectic garden that was established nearly thirty years ago! Feel free to hand feed the birds that frequent it.
- Sleeps up to four, a double sofa bed is available for extra guests.
- Rates: From AU$110 double (self-catering). Extra persons $25 each/night.
- The "Harlequin Cottage" was built over thirty years ago as a four-room miners hut, but has grown over time into a cosy and comfortable two-bedroom cottage.
- A large, fenced front yard makes a great play area for kids and pets of all ages – and its private garden and outdoor area (with BBQ!) makes for the perfect place to unwind after a long day.
- You'll feel right at home in our "Harlequin Cottage".
- Sleeps up to six- A day bed and a single trundle bed are available for extra guests.
- Rates: From AU$120 double (self-catering). Extra persons $25 each/night.
Fossickers Cottages Location:
Getting to Fossickers Cottages:
- When you arrive in town, call in to our showroom- Lost Sea Opals to pick up your keys.
- We are on the corner of Morilla and Onyx Sts, first intersection as you come into town and opposite the Caltex service station.
- Opal Cottage is just round the corner in Onyx St and Harlequin Cottage is about fifty metres from there.
- Countrylink has a daily train and bus service from Sydney via Dubbo... We will be happy to pick you up from the airport or bus depot.
Driving to Lightning Ridge
There are many different routes that can be taken when driving from any of the capital cities to the Lightning Ridge. The following is an overview of the routes from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide that may help you in planning your outback experience.
Warrego Hwy <> Gwydir Highway <> Castlereagh Hwy: Distance = 730km approx
Western Freeway >Castlereagh Highway: Distance = 792km approx
Hume Highway <> Newell Highway <> Castlereagh Highway: Distance = 1,225km aprox
Barrier Highway <> Darling River Run <> Castlereagh Highway: Distance = 1,330km approx
See & Do
Fossickers Cottages See and Do
- You can't stay in Lightning Ridge without finding out all about its stunning Black Opal gems.
- Contrary to that which the name suggests, Black Opal displays the most amazing range of colours and patterns, its black base simply enhancing its colours.
- Spend some time at our showroom to see our display of Black Opal, it is simply the most magical of the precious gems.
- We can show you how we cut and polish the gems and while you are there examine the collection of opalised fossils from the age of the dinosaurs.
- Take a soak in Lightning Ridges' hot Artesian Baths, loved by many for their soothing mineral rich waters.
- Do a self-drive tour or take a guided tour of the town and stroll underground in one of the old opal diggings.
- You can visit the working opal fields at the Grawin, Glengarry and Sheepyard fields and try your luck at fossicking for Black Opal in the designated fosssicking areas.
- Lightning Ridge has many interesting galleries, cafes, restaurants and pubs to explore. Plus excellent specialty shops with a fabulous range of quality jewellery and gifts.
- Finally, at the end of the day simply sit back, unwind and treasure the relaxing atmosphere of your private gardens at either one of Fossickers Cottages
More About Our Place
Fossickers Cottages (cont)
Andrew is an opal miner and Jo is a qualified jeweller/designer, since marrying in 1998 they have been making jewellery and mining black opal ever since.
Fossickers Cottages were created when they moved out of their first cottage to move into their current home and they decided to help share a bit of their passion - the beauty of Black Opal and the eccentricity and experience of the Lightning Ridge area- with as many people as possible.
Map & Contact Us
Lightning Ridge Weather Outlook